Wednesday, September 22, 2010

White Crayon..... Who Knew?

I'm really excited about this post. I just finished this card, and I couldn't wait to share it with y'all:

I received a truly excellent, unexpected gift on the weekend, and needed to make a card to thank the giver. Since the intended recipient likes all things 'rooster', I knew that I was going to use the rooster stamp from my SU "Provencal" stamp set.

I cased a bunch of different cards on Splitcoaststampers and combined all of the elements that I liked into this card. I wasn't really sure what to do with the empty space at the bottom under the stamped image, but ended up finishing it off with some rustic looking button-y goodness.


The most exciting part of this card for me is the stamped image of the rooster. While I was looking for inspiration on Splitcoaststampers, I saw a card on which the artist had used white crayon and then used the emboss-resist technique overtop. "Interesting," I thought to myself, "what a great way to highlight a stamped image..... I can totally do that!"

So, I hunted through my crafty storage and unearthed a white crayon from an old box of crayons, and set to work. I just love the end result:


I will totally have to use this technique on more cards in the future.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Marn, this card is perfection!! The colour combo, the added detail of the sanded stamp on the background panel, the stitching - the STITCHING!! Like you pierced and hand stitched all of that!! You're amazing - and that sweet button and raffia/thread(?) around the bottom. I LOVE it. I totally think Jenn needs to go away more often, because you are a creative genius when you have the house to yourself! (nothing personal against Jenn, I like her.) And what was the awesome gift, by the way. I'm very curious to know...